rowena

Orientalism
Edward W. Said
Infinite Jest
David Foster Wallace
Finnegans Wake (Trade Paperback)
James Joyce
Now and Then: The Poems of Gil Scott-Heron - Gil Scott-Heron I'm so glad I own a copy of this one. I was thinking of keeping this read for Black History Month but recently I've been listening to a lot of Gil Scott-Heron's music (which is excellent, by the way) and decided I couldn't wait to read his poetry.

This was a great collection. From his writing you can tell that Scott-Heron was many things. As well as being a musician, he was a social activist, a pacifist,an advocate for education, a person who strove for authenticity etc. Some of his poem's topics include the media, poverty, racism, family, drugs and HIV (which he calls Henry IV). There is definitely a passion in his words.

The majority of the poems in the book were written in the 70s and 80s so there were a lot of historical and political references to that time period (Watergate, Nixon, Reagan, Vietnam etc). To me it seemed ironic that decades later, Gil Scott-Heron's words still ring true, it's just the players that have changed.