rowena

Orientalism
Edward W. Said
Infinite Jest
David Foster Wallace
Finnegans Wake (Trade Paperback)
James Joyce
Euthyphro/Apologia Socratis/Crito/Phaedo - Plato,  Martinus Wohlrab I was a bit wary going in but I was pleasantly surprised that this book wasn't as difficult to understand as I'd expected it to be.

The edition I read covered three dialogues about Socrates (Apologia, Crito and Phaedo), who was tried for supposedly corrupting the youth of Athens as well as for encouraging worship of gods not recognized by the State. I've always heard that Socrates was a powerful orator and the way he defended himself in front of the court proves that. Even when he was sentenced to death, Socrates was curiously upbeat and as philosophical as ever, discussing the state of the soul and so on.

What I got from the book was that Socrates was curious and valued virtue, humility and honesty. I can see how he pushed a few buttons, telling people how stupid and ignorant they actually were!

I still can't wrap my head around how long ago this was written. My favourite section of the book was definitely Apologia. Amazing courtroom drama. Had it not been for the drawn-out investigation of the soul in Phaedo, I would have given this 5 stars.