rowena

Orientalism
Edward W. Said
Infinite Jest
David Foster Wallace
Finnegans Wake (Trade Paperback)
James Joyce
Miracle at St. Anna - James McBride I enjoyed this story about a troop of African-American soldiers fighting for the States in Italy. McBride is a very talented writer. I think he told the story very well; he captured the Italian mentality, especially towards superstition and how they viewed people different from themselves (in those days, anyway, the grotesqueness of war).

The "funny" thing about the African-American soldiers was that they were freer in Italy than they were in their own country. For me, that fact posed a few questions, for example, who exactly were the soldiers fighting for? A nation that didn't recognize them as equals? A nation in which they were not free themselves?

The characters in the story were very diverse and interesting. The ending wasn't exactly what I expected but, all in all,I loved this book.