rowena

Orientalism
Edward W. Said
Infinite Jest
David Foster Wallace
Finnegans Wake (Trade Paperback)
James Joyce
The Mill on the Floss - George Eliot, A.S. Byatt I really felt for Maggie throughout the book. She was such an intelligent child, reading classics at age 9 that I've yet to read. It's such a shame that she wasn't given an education as she was a woman but Tom (who learned next to nothing at his school- what a waste of money!)was.

I also felt sorry for Maggie because her love for her brother was so deep but unreciprocated. Tom was a jerk, for lack of a better word, and he really knew how to manipulate Maggie and make her feel awful. I thought I'd like him as the story progressed but alas.

I didn't like how the story ended and was contemplating giving the book 3 stars. However, I adore George Eliot's remarkable writing style. She's incredibly witty and philosophical at times.