rowena

Orientalism
Edward W. Said
Infinite Jest
David Foster Wallace
Finnegans Wake (Trade Paperback)
James Joyce
Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie Salman Rushdie definitely enjoys beating about the bush! I come from a culture that's the same way so I wasn't too bothered by it, and quite enjoyed it, but I can see why some people may dislike his writing style. Not I! This is one of the best books I've read this year and makes its way onto my coveted "favourites" shelf.

The story transfixed me most of the way through, though my attention did start to waver towards the end. The way Rushdie intertwines Indian culture and history into a magical story is quite remarkable. The book definitely helps the reader understand the complexities of Indian society, especially regarding people of different religions and languages who are fighting for rights.

Rushdie used a lot of humour and wit in his story. He was also quite daring with his analysis of religion. I heard mention of a fatwa issued against Rushdie because of his views on Islam.

All in all, a great read and one I will read again!