rowena

Orientalism
Edward W. Said
Infinite Jest
David Foster Wallace
Finnegans Wake (Trade Paperback)
James Joyce
The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky I was quickly drawn to Charlie's character. He was simple, yet complex at the same time (I think he spent half of the book crying!), quirky, compassionate, and caring, yet very passive, finding it safer to be a wallflower than a participant in life. The book dealt with lots of issues such as death, homosexuality, abortion, drugs etc. I liked the format of the book, which was a series of letters sent to an unidentified recipient.The way Charlie wrote definitely made him likeable.

I decided to give the book 4-stars instead of 5 for a few reasons.What I didn't quite understand is why Charlie wrote like a much younger child (I would say he wrote like an 8 year old) if he was truly as gifted as his teacher said. Also,because of his naivete, it quite surprised me that he could easily become friendly with the popular kids (and how could he be that naive being a teenager in the 90s?) I guess anything is possible. All in all, I think this was a very enjoyable book.