rowena

Orientalism
Edward W. Said
Infinite Jest
David Foster Wallace
Finnegans Wake (Trade Paperback)
James Joyce
Of Human Bondage - W. Somerset Maugham, Robert Calder This was my first Maugham book and I'm very glad I was recommended it. The story was essentially the coming of age story of an orphaned boy who was born with a clubfoot.He tries to find himself in many different ways and places; in Germany, in Paris, in London etc.

I loved the parts of the novel which dealt with the Bohemian lifestyle in Paris. It was basically the stereotypical image one gets when imagining poor, struggling, artists. The characters I met in this section were among my favourites in the whole book.

The book deals with many issues, for example loss of faith, youth trying to discover their destiny, love (Phillip's love for the cruel and selfish Mildred was very obsessive, moreso than I expected), lost dreams, philosophy etc.

I quite liked the protagonist, Phillip. I did find him quite naive at times but I liked his introspective nature and his artistic temperament. I can definitely see why so many people feel they can relate to him.