rowena

Orientalism
Edward W. Said
Infinite Jest
David Foster Wallace
Finnegans Wake (Trade Paperback)
James Joyce
Volcano - Shūsaku Endō This was a melancholic book which I had some trouble connecting with, despite its interesting depictions of Japanese culture. What I did enjoy was the symbolism of the volcano, linking it to human life. The two protagnonists, Jinpei and Father Durand, were both pretty pathetic characters. Jinpei was quite horrible to his wife and sons and was obsessed with the volcano ; Father Durand was relatively tyrannical too and spent most of the novel trying to prove that Japanese culture and Christianity were incompatible. Not the best Japanese novel I've ever read but it wasn't too bad.