rowena

Orientalism
Edward W. Said
Infinite Jest
David Foster Wallace
Finnegans Wake (Trade Paperback)
James Joyce
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee Lee My second reading of this amazing book, read for my December bookclub meeting, I definitely appreciated the writing style and story more the second time around. I love most of the characters in this book; how could you not fall in love with Scout? In my opinion, she is one of the best book characters ever. It's fascinating to see her grow in her understanding of the world around her, and also to see how she struggles with her "unladylike" ways.

The first time I read this book, I was impressed by Atticus. The fact that he speaks to his children as almost equals is amazing to me. I think we can all remember being given less than satisfactory answers to our questions as children so it was refreshing seeing this.Also, it's obvious that he's a moral character, and it goes to show that a lot of people wouldn't be racist or ignorant of those not like themselves, if they had a parent like Atticus.

I love the nostalgic element of the book. The creepy house/neighbour theme is one that was definitely prevalent in my own childhood. It did make me sad how different children are these days, not as imaginative with their playing as they were in the past. Ugh, technology :(

My bookclub loved this book as well but a few of them did state the story of a black man being accused of rape in the Deep South may have been more effective written by an African-American writer so that the character of Robinson would be more developed. I think this has probably been done before (Richard Wright?) but I think having the story told from the point of view of a young, white female protagonist is unique and refreshing.

So, a great re-read and it's definitely easy to see why this is a classic.