rowena

Orientalism
Edward W. Said
Infinite Jest
David Foster Wallace
Finnegans Wake (Trade Paperback)
James Joyce
Ulysses - James Joyce, Morris L. Ernst Wow. I guess this is the sort of book that people either love or hate. In all honesty, I didn't know what to expect when I picked up Ulysses. I had just read "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" some months back and I thought Ulysses would follow a similar format. Well, Ulysses didn't even follow any clear format!

Why I enjoyed this book so much is because I'm a lover of words and of the English language in general, and this book used such a wide variety of words. I don't think I even understood half of what was going on in the book, yet I still liked it. It also had it's share of racism, including anti-Jewish sentiment and the use of the n-word, bad grammar (deliberately of course, at times), made-up words and abruptly ending sentences.

The magic of this book, in my eyes, is you never know what you're going to read next. It might be a poetic passage (the passages that describe Bloom's love of water are great), a series of questions and answers, a hallucination set in the form of a play, some Latin, some French, Spanish, Greek, a reference to ineluctable modality....you just never know!

I could probably go on and on about this book. I will end by saying I gained a lot of respect for Joyce's genius during the reading of this book. He had so much knowledge and you can tell he put his soul into this book. I don't think there will ever be another book quite like it. This is definitely a book I need to get a copy of in order to re-read it again and again.