rowena

Orientalism
Edward W. Said
Infinite Jest
David Foster Wallace
Finnegans Wake (Trade Paperback)
James Joyce
The Dead Emcee Scrolls: The Lost Teachings of Hip-Hop - Saul Williams Another great one by Saul Williams. It offers a social commentary on the importance of hip-hop in the African-American community in particular, and the unfortunate misogynistic turn hip-hop has taken (the main reason I don't listen to it anymore). Most of the poems in this book are hip-hop inspired, so perhaps a little knowledge on the history of hip-hop from the 80s onwards would be beneficial.

Many of the poems are also activist and political in nature.A few are very personal. Some bemoan loss in culture and the unfairness in society. They also talk about self-discovery, which I found to be quite inspirational.

As always, Williams' word choice and word play is brilliant.

A great book to finish 2012 with.