rowena

Orientalism
Edward W. Said
Infinite Jest
David Foster Wallace
Finnegans Wake (Trade Paperback)
James Joyce
Giovanni's Room - James Baldwin I wasn't sure any Baldwin book would surpass his Go Tell is to the Mountain, which I loved, but this one was even better and an immediate favourite. This story was wonderfully-written and explored a gay storyline which I have never encountered in African-American writing from Baldwin's era.Supposedly quite a few prolific African-American writers were not such big fans of Baldwin due to this reason.

This story is set in Paris and is about an American man, David, who is in love with both a man, Giovanni, and a woman, Hella. He really struggles to come to terms with his sexuality,and to reconcile his inner conflict.

Baldwin really captures the Parisian atmosphere, and it's obvious he was well-acquainted with the city. Reading his depiction of Paris has really activated my wanderlust.

There's more to the story than the gay storyline, though. Questions are raised about authenticity, the meaning of home, whether we act out of fear or love, etc.

I can honestly say, I have never read writing quite like it before. This is one I plan on purchasing to re-read.