rowena

Orientalism
Edward W. Said
Infinite Jest
David Foster Wallace
Finnegans Wake (Trade Paperback)
James Joyce
The Hipster Handbook - Robert Lanham, Jeff Bechtel, Bret Nicely This book was hilarious! I have absolutely nothing against hipsters but the title caught my eye, and I wanted to learn more about hipsters since Vancouver may be the hipster capital of Canada. This book mainly consists of lists to educate the reader about hipsters; for example, different types of hipsters, the kind of music they like, a glossary of hipster slang (I didn't recognize a single one),types of facial hair,the books they read, which colleges they are most likely to go to, and so on. It also gives hipsters tips about how to behave during corporate job interviews (don't call the interviewer "dude", for example), and tips for non-hipsters who date hipsters.

I actually found the book fascinating because, although it's satire, it's an interesting anthropological study into a group of people I don't know much about. It reminded me a bit of the book "How to be Canadian" by Will Ferguson in that respect.

It was definitely a change from my usually-heavy reading.

Oh, there's also an "Are you a hipster?" questionnaire at the back of the book:)