rowena

Orientalism
Edward W. Said
Infinite Jest
David Foster Wallace
Finnegans Wake (Trade Paperback)
James Joyce
A Room of One's Own - Virginia Woolf I hadn't really made up my mind about how I feel about Virginia Woolf, until now, that is. This book definitely showed her genius and I loved it. I enjoyed reading about the history of women writers including one of my favourites, George Eliot, and how they have been suppressed systematically by patriarchy. I filed this book under "feminism" but in no way does it ridicule men or say women are better than men, it simply states that women have not been given adequate chances in literature in the past and have been expected to take on one-dimensional roles, which would make men, as well as women, miserable.

The book also talks about how literature as an art wasn't exactly encouraged back in the day, both for men and for women. Overall Woolf makes a lot of great points and it's obvious she sees literature as being of utmost importance in the world.I enjoyed her wit and also her knowledge about literature in general.