rowena

Orientalism
Edward W. Said
Infinite Jest
David Foster Wallace
Finnegans Wake (Trade Paperback)
James Joyce
The Devil in the Flesh (Neversink Library) - Raymond Radiguet This book has been on my radar for a while now since hearing that one of my favourite authors, Yukio Mishima, counted Radiguet as one of his influences and hoped to emulate his writing style.

The story itself is intriguing, and not as explicit at it may sound like at first. A 16 year old boy falls in love with a 19 year old married woman whose husband is fighting at the front during WW1. The couple embark on an affair, one that brings out rollercoaster emotions in the boy; one moment he is having deep philosophical thoughts about love and displaying maturity beyond his years, the next he gets angsty, selfish and manipulative.

Even if we disregard the fact that Radiguet was only 17 years old when he wrote this book, it's clear that he was a gifted writer. The writing was truly wonderful and flowed well. Unfortunately he died at the age of 20 from typhoid fever.

All in all a good, interesting read.