rowena

Orientalism
Edward W. Said
Infinite Jest
David Foster Wallace
Finnegans Wake (Trade Paperback)
James Joyce
Dracula - Bram Stoker, Maurice Hindle, Christopher Frayling “What manner of man is this, or what manner of creature is it in the semblance of man? I feel the dread of this horrible place overpowering me; I am in fear - in awful fear- and there is no escape for me; I am encompassed about with terrors that I dare not think of…”

This book was a lot more enjoyable than I expected it to be. I am always hesitant to read books if I've already watched the movie or know the storyline, but this book is proof that no matter how great a movie is, it can't capture everything the book contains.

I was not expecting this book to be an epistolary novel. It seemed like a great idea at first. I was enraptured by the first 100 pages or so. How Bram Stoker built up the atmosphere in Transylvania was brilliant. The introduction of the Count was even better. However, my attention began to lag a little bit during the correspondence between Mina and Lucy. It was, in a word, dull. Van Helsing's diary entries definitely saved the book for me.

All in all, a great book.

“I am all in a sea of wonders. I doubt; I fear; I think strange things which I dare not confess to my own soul.”