rowena

Orientalism
Edward W. Said
Infinite Jest
David Foster Wallace
Finnegans Wake (Trade Paperback)
James Joyce
The Glass Menagerie - Tennessee Williams “The scene is memory and is therefore nonrealistic. Memory takes a lot of poetic license. It omits some details; others are exaggerated, according to the emotional value of the articles it touches, for memory is seated predominantly in the heart.”

I really enjoyed this play, a lot more than I thought I would. It's a very short play but it managed to elicit all sorts of feelings from me,especially pity, mainly because the characters all carried some sort of burden or regret. There's the pushy, abandoned-by-husband single mother who has extremely high demands on her children, the crippled daughter who has extremely low self-esteem, and is still (shock, horror) single at age 24, and the son who is stuck in a job he despises and desires to be a poet.

I liked the ending because, although we're not explicitly told what fate brings the main characters, there is a feeling of hope left lingering in the air. I think the ending is very realistic.