rowena

Orientalism
Edward W. Said
Infinite Jest
David Foster Wallace
Finnegans Wake (Trade Paperback)
James Joyce
Kappa - Ryūnosuke Akutagawa, Geoffrey Bownas This was a fascinating Japanese novella about a man who finds himself in the land of the mythical Kappa.He lives there quite peacefully with the Kappa, and begins to analyze his own society based on what he sees in the Kappaland. I found it quite fascinating, and it reminded me a bit of Gulliver's Travels. Of course, perhaps I would have appreciated the satirical elements better had I known more about Japan's society at the time.