rowena

Orientalism
Edward W. Said
Infinite Jest
David Foster Wallace
Finnegans Wake (Trade Paperback)
James Joyce
The Calling of Kindred: Poems from the English Speaking World - Adrian Barlow I went to an international high school and one thing that was great about it was that our teachers encouraged us to read poetry and literature from a variety of cultures and countries to broaden our horizons. This was my Year 5 (Grade 10) poetry book and I really enjoyed it. The countries represented in this anthology include Zimbabwe, Canada, Australia, Singapore, Nigeria and India. A lot of great poems, my favourite probably being W.H. Auden's "In Memory of W.B. Yeats". Here are my favourite stanzas from the poem:

Intellectual disgrace
Stares from every human face,
And the seas of pity lie
Locked and frozen in each eye. -

In the deserts of the heart
Let the healing fountain start.
In the prison of his days
Teach the free man how to praise.