rowena

Orientalism
Edward W. Said
Infinite Jest
David Foster Wallace
Finnegans Wake (Trade Paperback)
James Joyce
The Temple of the Golden Pavilion - Yukio Mishima, Ivan Morris, Nancy Wilson Ross, Fumi Komatsu “To be sure, there are times when the reality of the outer world seems to be waiting for me, folding its arms as it were, while I was struggling to free myself. But the reality that is waiting for me is not a fresh reality. When finally I reach the outer world after all my efforts, all that I find is a reality that has instantly changed colour and gone out of focus- a reality that has lost the freshness that I had considered fitting for myself, and that gives off a half-putrid odour."

Mishima is such a great writer.His protagonist in this novel, Mizoguchi, is truly a sociopath; his creepy obsession with beauty, the Golden Pavilion in particular, threatens to consume him. He is very philosophical to the point of arrogance. All in all, a very well-written book.