rowena

Orientalism
Edward W. Said
Infinite Jest
David Foster Wallace
Finnegans Wake (Trade Paperback)
James Joyce
Lady Chatterley's Lover - D.H. Lawrence D.H. Lawrence is a writer I'm growing more fond of. He really does have a way with words.

Connie Chatterley, in my opinion, was a rather insipid character. She marries Clifford Chatterley, who gets injured in the war and comes back paralyzed. Consequently, she begins an affair with the gameskeeper, Oliver Mellors and discovers who she is as a woman.Lawrence definitely pushed the boundaries for 1920s standards.

I did sympathize with Connie's feelings of restlessness, aggravated by the fact that her invalid husband was so insensitive and selfish. "Connie was aware, however, of a growing restlessness. Out of her disconnexion, a growing restlessness was taking possession of her like madness."

"...deep inside herself, a sense of injustice, of being degraded, began to bloom in Connie,"

However, overall I felt Connie was rather vapid and boring.

I also like Lawrence for his descriptions of nature, especially when he anthropomorphizes it: " And they were there, the short-stemmed flowers, rustling and fluttering and shivering, so bright and alive, but with nowhere to hide their faces, as they turned them away from the wind."

Bravo, Lawrence!