rowena

Orientalism
Edward W. Said
Infinite Jest
David Foster Wallace
Finnegans Wake (Trade Paperback)
James Joyce
Green Grass, Running Water - Thomas King This was a bookclub read and one that I didn't get into until maybe 100 pages in. In the end I quite liked it. I don't really read too much Canadian fiction, something I'm trying to remedy, and it's nice to be able to read a book which discusses places I'm familiar with. And with the Idle No More movement that is taking place in North America right now, it was definitely a good time to read this book. Native Canadian and American awareness is definitely needed.

This book introduces truly memorable characters and satirizes how non-Natives perceive Natives.Of course the obligatory Native trickster is included, as well as Native mythology of the creation of the world.

I have to admit that I only gave the book 4-stars after my bookclub friends explained some of the Native and literature symbolism to me. When I realized what King was trying to do the book became more interesting to me. I will probably have to re-read this one in the future.