rowena

Orientalism
Edward W. Said
Infinite Jest
David Foster Wallace
Finnegans Wake (Trade Paperback)
James Joyce
Seeing Voices: A Journey into the World of the Deaf - Oliver Sacks “We are remarkably ignorant about deafness…Ignorant and indifferent.” I would definitely agree that I was relatively ignorant about deafness, probably because I didn’t know any deaf people until some months ago. Making the acquaintance of a young deaf man made me really curious about deaf people in general. This book taught me so much, it was truly enlightening.I think it should be read by everyone. Some of the stories about the deaf population's struggle for acceptance were very powerful and poignant, and I was embarrassed that I had been so unaware of their struggles.

A great quote:

“And to be defective in language, for a human being, is one of the most desperate of calamities, for it is only through language that we enter fully into our human estate and culture, communicate freely with our fellows, acquire and share information. If we cannot do this, we will be bizarrely disabled and cut off- whatever our desires or endeavours, or native capacities.”