rowena

Orientalism
Edward W. Said
Infinite Jest
David Foster Wallace
Finnegans Wake (Trade Paperback)
James Joyce
Lift Every Voice and Sing: Selected Poems - James Weldon Johnson,  Preface by Sondra Kathryn Wilson And to think I was going to pass on buying this book at my library booksale. I was inspired to read this poetry collection as Maya Angelou mentions one of the poems in her autobiography.The poems cover a relatively wide range of topics, from slavery to racism, love to death. Some poems use very shocking imagery and elicit visceral emotions, others are even slightly funny. Weldon Johnson's command of the English language was definitely on display, as well as were the poems he wrote in the "Negro dialect" (his own words.The poem's exhortating nature (encouraging the people to overcome racism, feelings of inadequacy etc.) is probably why people like Angelou especially loved this poet. I can tell these poems had an even bigger impact on African-Americans when they were written over 100 years ago but what I find to be more spectacular is how much power the words still hold. I'm definitely glad I own a copy, will be re-reading this in the future.